What is Alcoholism? How can You Help Someone with Alcoholism?
Alcoholism is known as alcohol abuse, alcohol dependence, or often referred to as alcohol use disorder. It usually occurs when a person drinks so much that his/her body becomes dependent on it. The negative consequences are eminent in a person’s life but they are not willing to give up alcohol abuse because of becoming dependent on it.
- It may start with the intention of having little fun in a gathering but then gradually alcohol becomes an integral part of life.
- Any mishap in life i.e. loss of job, death of a spouse or a loved one, and relationship breakup are among common causes of alcoholism.
- When you drink alcohol too much, it changes your brain chemistry which makes you vulnerable to alcohol dependence.
- Lack of social support
When Alcoholism becomes a Problematic Factor?
Alcoholism becomes a problematic factor when its after-effects start producing interruption in functional life.
A person unwantedly starts to hurt others especially their loved ones which may lead to the destruction of relationships. This ultimately becomes the cause of loneliness and makes a person consume more alcohol than usual while thinking that he/she would be sober later on. But this can lead to a vicious cycle.
An alcoholic person’s social, personal, and financial domains are disturbed so badly that he/she adapt difficult to manage personality which needs help.
Alcohol abuse causes severe liver damage. It can also lead to serious health complications like:
- Gastrointestinal bleeding (GIT tract ulcer)
Brain cell damage cause:
Baroreceptors damage cause:
- Nerve cell demyelination
How to treat alcoholism?
Following steps must be taken to treat alcoholism properly:
- Detoxification and withdrawal management treatment to detoxify the body from alcohol
- Seek help from rehabilitation centers to learn new coping skills and behaviors for alcoholism
- Counseling by professionals to address emotional problems that may trigger you to drink alcohol
- Participation in support groups, including 12-step programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)
- Medical treatment for health problems associated with alcohol use disorder
- Medications to help control addiction and maintain functionality
Who can help you?
A team of consultant psychiatrists, psychologists, and occupational therapists can help you in getting over alcoholism or related disorders.
They can help you with
- Direct counseling
- Group sessions
- Craving management
- Withdrawal management
- Making plans and setting life goals while maintaining sobriety
- Making a productive daily routine
These all treatment facilities are provided under one roof at “INNOVATIVE ZONE REHABILITATION”. Innovative Zone Rehabilitation is known for its best drug addiction treatment, services, and environment in Lahore. Innovative Zone Rehabilitation is working hard to provide the best and quality services in addiction treatment. You can book an appointment for yourself or your loved one at 0321-4249845 or visit our facility center at Plot# 5, Street# 2, Kamla Raja, Canal View, Gulberg II Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan-54000.
To read article this in Urdu; download the pdf file attached below:
Written By: Nudrat Fatima